Scroll Evoke Stock ROM?

This forum is for anything related to the EVOKE model

Scroll Evoke Stock ROM?

Postby Gforse » February 21st, 2013, 8:04 pm

Hello,

I'm really impressed with my Scroll that I got just after Christmas, I successfully rooted it, but when I was messing around, seeing all the stuff on the play store with "[root]" in the title, I installed Chainfire 3D, and not knowing that installing the driver would practically turn the tablet into a potato, I installed the driver and there you go. It does not get past the boot screen (I'm assuming that's the BIOS), but I can get into recovery mode, and I've tried doing "Factory Reset/Wipe Data" or whatever is on those lines, and still no booting. I've got the android SDK, and I've tried flashing the "System.img" file onto my scroll, but I'm getting "Installation Aborted".

So if someone could tell me what to do or send me the Stock ROM, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance guys 8-)
Gforse
New Scroller
New Scroller

Re: Scroll Evoke Stock ROM?

Postby Charlie » February 21st, 2013, 8:26 pm

Gforse wrote:Hello,

I'm really impressed with my Scroll that I got just after Christmas, I successfully rooted it, but when I was messing around, seeing all the stuff on the play store with "[root]" in the title, I installed Chainfire 3D, and not knowing that installing the driver would practically turn the tablet into a potato, I installed the driver and there you go. It does not get past the boot screen (I'm assuming that's the BIOS), but I can get into recovery mode, and I've tried doing "Factory Reset/Wipe Data" or whatever is on those lines, and still no booting. I've got the android SDK, and I've tried flashing the "System.img" file onto my scroll, but I'm getting "Installation Aborted".

So if someone could tell me what to do or send me the Stock ROM, that'd be great.

Trying to flash the system.img from an SDK will only do more damage if the flash was successful. - It does seem that the Chainfire3D app has caused the issue, but that is not surprising as the Evoke has 4.1 Jelly Bean OS and the dev of the app does say the following:-

<snip>
!! For Froyo and Gingerbread ONLY. NOT COMPATIBLE with Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean !!
<snip>
!! There is some risk involved installing the driver. Your device may not boot. If you have CWM, it would be prudent to create a backup before installing !!

As you have rooted your tablet, you should have ADB access set-up. Can you still access the tablet via ADB? and did you dump the /dev/block/mtdblock (s) ?

As for a stock firmware - SO don't normally release one and I am not aware of another ROM that would work on the Evoke.
" Just because you could, doesn't mean you should. "
Charlie
Trusted Developer
Trusted Developer

Scroll Version: Moto G 16GB (4.4.2 rooted)
Nexus 7 - G1 (4.4.2 rooted)
Huawei Y300 (4.1.1 rooted - TWRP)
MK809 (4.1.1 rooted - CWM)
Raspberry Pi B (512MB)

Retired: Excel (CM10) & 1st Gen' (2.1) Tab'.

Postby Gforse » February 21st, 2013, 8:30 pm

Charlie wrote:
Gforse wrote:Hello,

Trying to flash the system.img from an SDK will only do more damage if the flash was successful. - It does seem that the Chainfire3D app has caused the issue, but that is not surprising as the Evoke has 4.1 Jelly Bean OS and the dev of the app does say the following:-

!! For Froyo and Gingerbread ONLY. NOT COMPATIBLE with Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean !!

As you have rooted your tablet, you should have ADB access set-up. Can you still access the tablet via ADB? and did you dump the /dev/block/mtdblock (s) ?

As for a stock firmware - SO don't normally release one and I am not aware of another ROM that would work on the Evoke.

I can "adb sideload", but I wouldn't know how to explore the filesystem, thanks for the reply :)
Gforse
New Scroller
New Scroller

Postby Charlie » February 21st, 2013, 8:52 pm

If you can get the system.img from another Evoke user you could use ADB to copy it to your tablet.

On my CnM tablet the system partition is mtdblock8 - not sure if it's the same on the Evoke.

Sorry I can not help you any more, unless you have an evoke system.img
" Just because you could, doesn't mean you should. "
Charlie
Trusted Developer
Trusted Developer

Scroll Version: Moto G 16GB (4.4.2 rooted)
Nexus 7 - G1 (4.4.2 rooted)
Huawei Y300 (4.1.1 rooted - TWRP)
MK809 (4.1.1 rooted - CWM)
Raspberry Pi B (512MB)

Retired: Excel (CM10) & 1st Gen' (2.1) Tab'.

Postby Gforse » February 21st, 2013, 8:56 pm

Charlie wrote:If you can get the system.img from another Evoke user you could use ADB to copy it to your tablet.

On my CnM tablet the system partition is mtdblock8 - not sure if it's the same on the Evoke.

Ah, thanks anyway man, I'll ask around :)
Gforse
New Scroller
New Scroller

Postby Gforse » February 21st, 2013, 10:07 pm

Charlie wrote:If you can get the system.img from another Evoke user you could use ADB to copy it to your tablet.

Actually, sorry for the double post, Can I create my own Custom ROM?

Would that work or not?
Gforse
New Scroller
New Scroller

Postby Trashcooky » February 21st, 2013, 10:43 pm

Gforse wrote:

Actually, sorry for the double post, Can I create my own Custom ROM?

Would that work or not?

I don't know half as much as Charlie does about unbricking tablets but regarding you creating your own custom image, with the greatest respect to you, if you have to ask the question then I doubt that you can.
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Postby Gforse » February 22nd, 2013, 3:11 pm

Gforse wrote:Actually, sorry for the double post, Can I create my own Custom ROM?

Would that work or not?

Trashcooky wrote:I don't know half as much as Charlie does about unbricking tablets but regarding you creating your own custom image, with the greatest respect to you, if you have to ask the question then I doubt that you can.

Gforse wrote:Ah, logic, I'll guess I have to either send it back or ask SO for the system.img.
Gforse
New Scroller
New Scroller

Postby Rainbow » February 22nd, 2013, 4:24 pm

See Charlie's sig - presumably learnt from an experience similar to yours ;)
Rainbow
Scroll Apprentice
Scroll Apprentice

Scroll Version: Evoke with JB 4.1.1

Rooted

Postby Trashcooky » February 22nd, 2013, 5:25 pm

Rainbow wrote:See Charlie's sig - presumably learnt from an experience similar to yours ;)

Charlie is much more into developing whereas I just moderate the site taking out the spam and if necessary issuing warnings.

@ Gforse: It sounds like you will have to rely on the generosity of someone who has both an Evoke and the skills to pull the system image from it for you.

As far as Storage Options letting you have a stock image, well I just saw another flying pig go by - but hey give them a try they may prove me wrong.

Good luck. :)
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Next

Return to Scroll EVOKE Forum - Scroll Evoke 7" Tablet