Flashing Firmware

Discuss anything Scroll Excel Tablet related here.

Flashing Firmware

Postby motherhupit » February 3rd, 2013, 9:27 pm

Hi i'm new to the forum although I have looked on it for a while, and i'm pretty new to android being mainly a Nokia and symbian user for the last so many years, I have a scroll excell that came with ICS 4.0.3, but it seems pretty sluggish at times and not very smooth I was hoping to either flash to the ICS 4.0.4 from sugsy or perhaps a good JB version,

I'm a bit confused on how to flash, I have flashed many nokia phones in the past using navifirm and Pionix, but am confused with the android approach I have downloaded Android SDK but I can't seem to get it to install also I have also download livesuite but can't get to install either, the SDK just quits as soon i try and install it i see a command prompt for a sec, and the live suite I get 3 error windows and that's it, its on a WIndows 7 64 machine, could any one give me any idea on how to flash, also I still need a driver for the excell I have tried selecting android_windows.inf as the driver for the excell (shows just "android" in device manager) but still no luck.

Thanks for any help or info.

Cheers

Seb.
motherhupit
New Scroller
New Scroller

Re: Flashing Firmware

Postby Trashcooky » February 3rd, 2013, 10:11 pm

motherhupit wrote:Hi i'm new to the forum although I have looked on it for a while, and i'm pretty new to android being mainly a Nokia and symbian user for the last so many years, I have a scroll excell that came with ICS 4.0.3, but it seems pretty sluggish at times and not very smooth I was hoping to either flash to the ICS 4.0.4 from sugsy or perhaps a good JB version,

I'm a bit confused on how to flash, I have flashed many nokia phones in the past using navifirm and Pionix, but am confused with the android approach I have downloaded Android SDK but I can't seem to get it to install also I have also download livesuite but can't get to install either, the SDK just quits as soon i try and install it i see a command prompt for a sec, and the live suite I get 3 error windows and that's it, its on a WIndows 7 64 machine, could any one give me any idea on how to flash, also I still need a driver for the excell I have tried selecting android_windows.inf as the driver for the excell (shows just "android" in device manager) but still no luck.

Thanks for any help or info.

Cheers

Seb.

There are 7 pages here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3110&hilit=jellybean+on+the+Excel which contain a lot of information but if you are not confident then leave well alone.
Regarding how to flash look here: http://tinyurl.com/7gq44mf

There are all useful links: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2757&start=10#p23091
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Postby motherhupit » February 4th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Thanks for all the info, flashed it last night onto 4.0.3 which i think it had anyway but the suggys version this time and then onto his 4.0.4 using CWM a lot smoother now, quicker and web browser seems to work better, also the location seems to work perfectly now.

Thanks for all the info it works brilliant now, can't really fault this tablet now i bought it through work for £75 about 6 months back and now it even seems smooth, the only thing i can't seem to get the wifi tethering on my nokia phone to work with it anymore it sees the wifi network but just won't connect accepts the password but thats it, also how do i check the tablets finger print??

Cheers
motherhupit
New Scroller
New Scroller

Postby motherhupit » February 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Just been onto google play store via laptop ans still showing as Scroll Excell, is there an easy way i can change to another fingerprint so i can get more apps or is it not worth it due to hardware restrictions of the scroll.

Cheers
motherhupit
New Scroller
New Scroller

Postby Trashcooky » February 4th, 2013, 4:28 pm

motherhupit wrote:Just been onto google play store via laptop ans still showing as Scroll Excell, is there an easy way i can change to another fingerprint so i can get more apps or is it not worth it due to hardware restrictions of the scroll.

Cheers

Glad you got flashed OK. Suggsy89's 4.03 + update (4.04) zip is a safe way to go and you keep CWM installed which is useful.
Regarding spoofing the tablet as something else (such as samsung galaxy i19000) this can be a two edged sword as although you may see more apps on the playstore doesn't mean that they will all work on the Excel.

A safe way forward on this is if you see something you want on the app store using a different device but perhaps you can't see it when on the Excel, then download it to the other device and then sideload it onto your Excel.

I spoofed my Excel as a Nexus 7 for a while using CM10 and got a few apps I couldn't as an Excel identity.
You can edit the build.prop but be wary as an ordinary text editor is unsuitable and will usually corrupt the file leaving you in a boot loop.
If you are unsure about what can be safely edited in the build.prop then perhaps stay safe as it is very easy to end up with a frozen or boot looping tablet.

Aparently this can be used to manually edit the build.prop and save it again in the correct useable format: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ndora.jota

An app I have used with mixed success but perhaps a little safer than manually editing the build.prop is this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... VkaXRvciJd there are plently of options and also lists of default values for things like the WIFI refresh cycle.

Lastly, I have settled on this ROM as rock solid and trouble free: http://bit.ly/THIl0c it turns your Excel into a cloned Yarvik tab 264. You can flash with Livesuite but be aware that this is a Yarvik stock ROM and therefore by flashing it you will lose your CWM present on your tablet at present.
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Return to Scroll EXCEL - General Discussions