Update to ICS 4.0.3 - Thanks

Discuss anything Scroll Excel Tablet related here.

Update to ICS 4.0.3 - Thanks

Postby tenter » January 17th, 2013, 10:44 pm

I have had my Scroll Excel for about a year and it has been on standard GB. It worked OK, but, has always been slightly tempremental and recently it has had lots of reboots and Wifi dropouts. Today I have taken the plunge and upgraded to ICS 4.0.3 and now my Scroll is working a treat. No Wifi disconnects, no sudden rebooting with the word "Android" accross the screen, I should have done it earlier.

I would like to thank all those who went before and made it possible, there were many names, but, a few stuck in my mind for special thanks. In no particular order: Suggsy89, Trashcooky, Mitre and Charlie - I salute you.

Just one question: ICS 4.0.4 - is it worth upgrading or should I be thinking Jelly Bean?
Unix - Linux - Networks - Protocol Analysis -Done that since 300bps was the high speed modem!
tenter
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Scroll Version: Scroll Excel - Pretending to be a M701C
Android: 4.0.3 Baseband version: V1.0
Kernel Version: 3.0.8+-android scroll@scroll excel
Build Number: 97F1-d1-H1-H01-N413-20120314

Re: Update to ICS 4.0.3 - Thanks

Postby tenter » January 17th, 2013, 10:51 pm

Just realised I needed to update my Profile :-)
Unix - Linux - Networks - Protocol Analysis -Done that since 300bps was the high speed modem!
tenter
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Scroll Version: Scroll Excel - Pretending to be a M701C
Android: 4.0.3 Baseband version: V1.0
Kernel Version: 3.0.8+-android scroll@scroll excel
Build Number: 97F1-d1-H1-H01-N413-20120314

Re: Update to ICS 4.0.3 - Thanks

Postby Trashcooky » January 18th, 2013, 12:21 am

tenter wrote:I have had my Scroll Excel for about a year and it has been on standard GB. It worked OK, but, has always been slightly tempremental and recently it has had lots of reboots and Wifi dropouts. Today I have taken the plunge and upgraded to ICS 4.0.3 and now my Scroll is working a treat. No Wifi disconnects, no sudden rebooting with the word "Android" accross the screen, I should have done it earlier.

I would like to thank all those who went before and made it possible, there were many names, but, a few stuck in my mind for special thanks. In no particular order: Suggsy89, Trashcooky, Mitre and Charlie - I salute you.

Just one question: ICS 4.0.4 - is it worth upgrading or should I be thinking Jelly Bean?

The update to 4.0.4 fixes a few minor bugs such as auto-rotate which is smoother in 4.0.4.
Should you upgrade to 4.0.4 depends on which version of 4.0.3 you are running.
If you are running Suggsy89's 4.0.3 then this has CWM built in which you can use to update to Suggsy's 4.0.4 .zip.

You can always flash the Yarvik 4.0.4 ROM with Livesuite which is very stable and gives you the addition of soft volume touch keys. However, if you do this you will lose CWM and your Scroll Excel will have a Yarvik boot-screen animation.

Should you be thinking of Jellybean ? .... one man's meat is another man's poison so they say.
Charlie likes CM10 on his Excel which he flashed over the 4.0.4 Yarvik - he says it is fine.
(incidentally the Yarvik will give you a huge system partition which JB requires.)
For me I have flirted with various JB roms but each time I have come back to ICS 4.0.4 - in my particular case I like the volume soft-keys plus a few other details about the Yarvik ROM but not everyone will agree.

When I see a stable release candidate for Cyanogen Mod 10.1 then perhaps.. meanwhile I keep looking on the Yarvik support site because they will eventually do a JB update for their TAB264 which will work as is on the original Excel.
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Return to Scroll EXCEL - General Discussions