Help - Scroll Extreme Cracked Casing

Relax... off-topic chat about absolutely anything in here.

Help - Scroll Extreme Cracked Casing

Postby ChrisC » August 21st, 2013, 4:59 pm

BobC wrote:
Perhaps my description was a bit alarming - a crack (widening) has appeared next to the headphone socket where the plastic is very narrow. The RMA process is very good - they sent me a postage paid label to print out (with some other returns I've had the companies involved expect you to pay for the return and then make you jump through hoops to claim it back) and when speaking to them it seems there is a batch with a similar problem next to the securing screw (methinks someone was too enthusiastic with a screwdriver).

BobC

I have a Scroll Extreme that has developed a similar crack to that described above within an old thread I found on the forum. The crack is by the headphone socket and securing screw. I've rarely used the headphone socket but recently did, unfortunately its just over a month out of warranty :( . I quoted this thread to Storage Options but got a response back saying they are unaware of a faulty batch. Does BobC or anyone else have any details from similar issues that might help me?

ChrisC
ChrisC
New Scroller
New Scroller

Re: Help - Scroll Extreme Cracked Casing

Postby fregrin » September 8th, 2013, 5:21 pm

mine has the same crack at the headphones and be honest this is second extreme tablet..already had one RMA for another issue...
fregrin
Serious Scroller
Serious Scroller

Postby BobC » September 11th, 2013, 4:52 pm

CrisC

It's a long time since I had the Extreme(s) and as you say yours is now out of warranty. I can only restate that that is what I was told at the time and I did get about three units exchanged because of the cracking. The ones I had all developed a crack within the first couple of weeks which is why I expect S.O. were able to exchange them so readily.

Did you buy yours from S.O. itself or from, say Ebuyer ?

BobC
BobC
Scroll Addict
Scroll Addict

Scroll Version: None any more - broken and no replacement available.

Postby ChrisC » September 11th, 2013, 7:05 pm

OK interesting, thanks for responding BobC. I dont suppose you have any RMA details handy? It was from Ebuyer, they couldnt help because of it being just outside of the 12 months and pointed me to the manufacturer. I dont think I have any options other than replacing.
ChrisC
New Scroller
New Scroller

Postby BobC » September 12th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Sorry, can't help with RMA details. I think you are on your own - S.O. might have helped if they actually had some Extremes still but it they won't/can't you aren't going to get anywhere with EBuyers (the only ones you have any contactual relationship with) as they can't back off the warranty with their suppliers.

That's the trouble with modern devices, they can't be repaired but TBH are pretty cheap in the first place. Anything with a built-in battery for instance will have a finite lifespan; with luck twice the warranty period and anything after that you are on borrowed time. Normally, though, the bathtub effect means if it survives the first six months it will be o.k for years to come, barring damage.

BobC
BobC
Scroll Addict
Scroll Addict

Scroll Version: None any more - broken and no replacement available.

Return to The Lounge