Rooting and slimming down Android

Talk about Scroll Tablet Software Upgrades/Mods/Hacks here.

Re: Rooting and slimming down Android

Postby Panrider » January 20th, 2011, 6:52 pm

I've had my Scroll since Tuesday and the Market is still working normally

Mark
Firmware: v1.01 - Kernel: 2.6.29
Panrider
Donator
Donator

Postby edtuckerartist » January 20th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Going through the steps above in reverse order to see if I can get the market to work again!

Reinstated
TelephonyProvider.apk - market still broken
Mms.apk - market still broken
Phone.apk - market still broken

I guess then that it's either Clockworkmod or rooting the device that stops the market from functioning?

Wondering if factory resetting my Scroll will fix the problem? And if I do will my purchased apps, Clockworkmod and root be gone?

Ok I was brave and did a factory reset. After the initial setup I tried to find Market in the app draw without luck. Ran app installed and Market had a red X in front of it and would not install :(
So I browsed to these forums and found a link to appbrain, where I clicked to download an app from the market! The Market setup screen appeared and after setting it up I have a Working Market. :D
Ps it's also the version with the carousel :D
1.02 FW
Want's an app that can edit 3D like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkDoE-JGo4
edtuckerartist
Scroll Addict
Scroll Addict

Postby mojo » January 24th, 2011, 6:21 pm

great advice!
i did the phone related .apk's and immediately noticed a jump in speed, from boot to usable 'desktop' in less than 30 seconds :)

also noticed the free ram being reported had jumped up about 30mb too :D

however, my battery meter seems to be undecided as to weather or not its full or empty :roll:

^a few shutdowns and reboots later whilst connected to the mains charger seems to have brought it back as i type this :lol:
'Rooted', 'propped' and 'stripped' -but still scared of terminal F/W V 1.01_Bb V 1.01 K 2.6.29_Android 2.1 32GB & non-Working Market :-/
HTC Desire HD: Rooted, ENG-OFF, S-OFF, IceColdSandwich AKOP 7.4 Stripper edition, O/C@1.5ghz, 16GB Class 10
mojo
Scroll Addict
Scroll Addict

Postby GadgetSlave » January 24th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Hi.
Thanks for all the tips. I have now rooted and changed the build on my scroll. It now seems a lot more useable.
Backing up was straightforward using the guides but I am having trouble trying to delete the phone apk's. I have tried renaming and deleting them using both a file explorer an terminal editor but I get a action unsucessful message. Am I missing anything obvious?
I still think the battery life is poor. Has anyone opened their scroll up yet? I'm hoping there will be a standard phone battery in there that we can upgrade...........

Thanks

Sean
Sean

Firmware v1.01, Kernel 2.6.29, Android 2.1
GadgetSlave
New Scroller
New Scroller

Postby JimmyW » January 24th, 2011, 7:30 pm

You need to use a file explorer with superuser rights (such as super manager) as the "normal" ones don't have full root rights to rename/delete sys files
*JimmyW runs around waving a stick shouting "OUT! OUT! YOU DEMONS OF STUPIDITY!"

kernel: 2.6.29 | build: steroidROM 2.2 beta 1| Rooted | Clockwork | FlashliteImage
JimmyW
Donator
Donator

Postby mojo » January 24th, 2011, 8:17 pm

GadgetSlave wrote:Hi.
Has anyone opened their scroll up yet?

man thats crazy talk! don't give me idea's! though i'm hoping Storage Solutions will offer up a 'repair manual' so we can know what to expect and not break anything in the process...
'Rooted', 'propped' and 'stripped' -but still scared of terminal F/W V 1.01_Bb V 1.01 K 2.6.29_Android 2.1 32GB & non-Working Market :-/
HTC Desire HD: Rooted, ENG-OFF, S-OFF, IceColdSandwich AKOP 7.4 Stripper edition, O/C@1.5ghz, 16GB Class 10
mojo
Scroll Addict
Scroll Addict

Postby JimmyW » January 24th, 2011, 8:19 pm

mojo wrote:
GadgetSlave wrote:Hi.
Has anyone opened their scroll up yet?

man thats crazy talk! don't give me idea's! though i'm hoping Storage Solutions will offer up a 'repair manual' so we can know what to expect and not break anything in the process...

I've already donned my straight jacket and am currently prodding in various locations to open the scroll... may even come down to the good old trusty dremel (I kid you not), but it will be open this evening...
*JimmyW runs around waving a stick shouting "OUT! OUT! YOU DEMONS OF STUPIDITY!"

kernel: 2.6.29 | build: steroidROM 2.2 beta 1| Rooted | Clockwork | FlashliteImage
JimmyW
Donator
Donator

Postby mojo » January 24th, 2011, 8:29 pm

:o :o :o :o :o

:twisted:

i wish you the best of luck! braver than me!
mojo
Scroll Addict
Scroll Addict

Postby Kommander » January 24th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Remember to take lots of pictures, macro/high res if possible, we'd all like to see what's on/in there :D

I think the bluetooth/sim query that has been bouncing around for a while could be looked into if the connections are there to solder to, just need to find compatible parts/chipsets.
David Kirkland

firmware version : v0.94
Kernel version : 2.6.29
Build number 2.1

Rooted | Clockworkmod'd | build.prop'd | PMT Slimmed | Nano installed
Kommander
Donator
Donator

Postby JimmyW » January 24th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Well it's open - Took me all of 40 second ;)

Just doing a man v food on an epic steak then will continue on my post in the how to section

JimmyW
Donator
Donator

PreviousNext

Return to SOFTWARE & Operating Systems