Best Video Player for the Evoke

This forum is for anything related to the EVOKE model

Best Video Player for the Evoke

Postby Spyder » February 5th, 2013, 2:23 pm

I've got to admit, the primary reason I chose an Evoke was because of the HDMI output and the Mali GPU that should easily handle 1080p output. Over the years, I've accumulated video in a multitude of formats with different sound track codecs and was looking for one application that could:

1. List and thumbnail the videos on the Evoke / SD Card.
2. Display the names of the files.
3. Play all the normal formats (.mkv .mp4 .avi etc)
4. Play the audio tracks (DTS, mp3, AC3) in sync.

So far I've tried several video players ( VLC, DicePlayer, VPlayer, MX Player, in built Video Player) and each one satisfies some of the above, but so far I haven't found one that covers everything. I'm new to Android so forgive my ignorance, but can anyone recommend one player that will work on Android 4.1.1 specifically on the Evoke and do all the above? Or does such a beast even exist? If possible I'd like to avoid converting all my video to a single compatible format.
Thanks.
Spyder
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Scroll Version: Scroll Evoke 4.1.1 (not rooted ... yet)

Re: Best Video Player for the Evoke

Postby Spyder » February 5th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Well after installing and testing dozens of video players I've found the one that appears to do everything I needed. And the winner is .... MoboPlayer. So far it's played everything I've thrown at it including a 1920*800 .mkv file with DTS audio. If anyone has any better suggestions, let me know but I'm very happy with the MoboPlayer functionality.
Spyder
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Postby Trashcooky » February 5th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Spyder wrote:Well after installing and testing dozens of video players I've found the one that appears to do everything I needed. And the winner is .... MoboPlayer. So far it's played everything I've thrown at it including a 1920*800 .mkv file with DTS audio. If anyone has any better suggestions, let me know but I'm very happy with the MoboPlayer functionality.

Congratulations on finding what is a very popular video player which I recommend when asked but you found it yourself anyway.

I fully understand your comment about not wanting to convert files to a common format as a solution and I expect you are aware that viewing from the external SD card does require a high quality card. I would always advise on a class 10 so as not to compromise on quality as I have heard many woes of sticking jerky frames when using cheap class 4 SD cards.

Even though you have found a good player, I am sure you realise that how the file is packed is very important to playback as well as having a clever video player to unpack the files as well. My understanding is that the current top choice is H265 whereas I have most of my video files stored in the older H264 standard which always gives good playback on my Scroll tablet.

I don't know if you may find this of any interest, viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2343&hilit=H264 meanwhile I agree that Mobo player is very good.
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Postby Spyder » February 6th, 2013, 1:09 am

Thanks Trash cookie, a very useful link. Also have to admit it was one of your earlier posts that pointed me towards MOBOplayer. I was surprised how many video Apps didn't provide any more functionality than what I assume is the inbuilt Android Video Player.
If there are other Evoke users out there I thoroughly recommend this player based on my early tests, but as always there`s the chance that there's a better App waiting in the aisles.
Spyder
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Postby mange1984 » September 6th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Have to say mx player has to be best on the evoke and excel from my personel use
mange1984
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Scroll Version: Scroll evoke 7 running jelly bean 4.1.1 scroll excel 2 ics 4.0.4 version blackberry playbook 16 gig blackberry bold 9790 touch

Return to Scroll EVOKE Forum - Scroll Evoke 7" Tablet