Excel +Android 2.3 not booting or resetting

Discuss anything Scroll Excel Tablet related here.

Excel +Android 2.3 not booting or resetting

Postby oldbear » February 10th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Hi, I have an unmodified Excel running Android 2.3, it was bought in November 2011 and has been working ok since then (light use - games and browsing).

After a period of no use for a few months, it has been charged overnight, however the device will not switch on. When I connect the power to the Excel, the battery icon appears on screen for a short time, then the screen is blank. Pressing the power on button has no effect after the overnight charge, the Excel remains powered off, with or without the power supply connected.

I have tried holding the +vol key with the power button for 60 seconds with no response from the Excel. I have also used a paper clip to press the reset button, but there is no response.

All the keys feel ok, I don't think any of them are damaged.

Can anyone suggest any further checks or actions I can take to try and get the device running again.
Many thanks. Oldbear
oldbear
New Scroller
New Scroller

Scroll Version: Scroll Excel
Android 2.3
No modifications
Part No 53715

Re: Excel +Android 2.3 not booting or resetting

Postby Trashcooky » February 10th, 2014, 11:54 pm

It is possible that you have allowed the battery to become completely discharged and this can render it unusable. Modern lithium batteries contain electronic circuitry for safety reasons and if the battery ever becomes so flat that this circuitry can no longer operate it can effectively render the battery useless.

It sounds like you have left the unit on charge for long periods without success, apart from trying for even longer periods to see if you may eventually (unlikely from your description) kick start the battery back into operation then the only other likely remedy is to open up the unit and physically replace the battery.

A warning for others. Any lithium battery should always be stored charged as if you store them low or flat there is a serious risk they will never operate again after a period of inactivity.
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Postby oldbear » February 11th, 2014, 12:06 pm

Thanks for the post Trashcooky, the Excel is still not responding after further charging so it looks like I will have to find a replacement battery.
Kind regards.
oldbear
New Scroller
New Scroller

Android 2.3
No modifications
Part No 53715

Postby Trashcooky » February 11th, 2014, 1:06 pm

oldbear wrote:Thanks for the post Trashcooky, the Excel is still not responding after further charging so it looks like I will have to find a replacement battery.
Kind regards.

Hope that is all that is wrong as it seems strange that you can not get it to boot when plugged in as well.
If you do decide to try another battery then look at the price (as this still may not work) and see if you can pick up a cheap replacement tablet instead.

There are always cheap offers on ebay - I bought this tabtronics mini and have been very happy for £80.00:
Trashcooky

Postby oldbear » February 12th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Thanks for your comments Trashcooky, the fact it would not boot even with the power supply connected also concerned me, so I opened it up and checked the battery. There are 4.1 volts at the pcb, so I discounted a flat battery and took a look at the power button. It looks like this might be a bit sticky, sometimes working, sometimes not. Pressing the switch with a small tool got the Excel running again and having prodded around between the back of the key and the pcb mounted switch, the button seems to be more reliable. Did attempt to remove the pcb for a closer look, but only found 3 screws to remove, something else was holding it in place - is there a fourth hidden screw or some other attachment ?
Kind regards.
oldbear
New Scroller
New Scroller

Android 2.3
No modifications
Part No 53715

Postby Trashcooky » February 12th, 2014, 9:45 pm

I never got that far myself although here are some pictures but not sure if they will help.
Trashcooky

Return to Scroll EXCEL - General Discussions