Excel – Using a Kingston USB Stick

Discuss anything Scroll Excel Tablet related here.

Excel – Using a Kingston USB Stick

Postby tony0204 » December 11th, 2013, 11:58 am

Hi
Using a Kingston Data Traveler usb stick 64 Gb.
Never used the short cable before to connect a usb stick to the Excel (Original Ver). The stick was OK using windows, with some data on it – Photos, which I wanted to transfer to the Excel. When I connected it, the Excel came up with msg saying the stick needed formatting, I removed the stick and put in back into my PC, annoyingly Windows 7 now said the stick needed formatting, but when I say yes, it goes through the formatting process, but then says “unable to Format”. So the stick does not work anymore.
Reluctant to put attach anything else to the Excel in case happens again
Any Advice would be appreciated
Thank you
tony0204
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Re: Excel – Using a Kingston USB Stick

Postby Trashcooky » December 11th, 2013, 10:06 pm

tony0204 wrote:Hi
Using a Kingston Data Traveler usb stick 64 Gb.
Never used the short cable before to connect a usb stick to the Excel (Original Ver). The stick was OK using windows, with some data on it – Photos, which I wanted to transfer to the Excel. When I connected it, the Excel came up with msg saying the stick needed formatting, I removed the stick and put in back into my PC, annoyingly Windows 7 now said the stick needed formatting, but when I say yes, it goes through the formatting process, but then says “unable to Format”. So the stick does not work anymore.
Reluctant to put attach anything else to the Excel in case happens again
Any Advice would be appreciated
Thank you

I had a similar circumstance following using an SD card for Linux on a raspberry Pi and then had to reclaim the sectors before I could use the card again on my PC.

When you connect your USB storage device to your Scroll via the OTG lead it must be in a format that the Scroll can understand. Android is based on Linux and the native disk format is EXT so it is not uncommon for it to refuse to work with disk format standards of windows and visa versa.

Having said that, if your USB stick was formatted FAT32 then I would have expected your Excel to recognise it - either way it sounds like your USB stick is now confused.

What I am going to suggest takes great care or you can damage the hard drive on your computer if you get things wrong and choose the wrong disc to work on but follow this guide so long as your PC can see the USB stick then you should be in with a chance.
Just make sure you choose to work on the USB stick and not any of your PC's other drives.
Don't worry about the article being for an SD card as USB sticks and SD cards both use flash memory so the exercise is the same.
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Postby tony0204 » December 12th, 2013, 10:52 am

Thanks Trashcrooky
Much appreciated, I will have a look and write up how I get on, just for info and anyone else using the forum.
Although I have not read the original manual for some time, the tablet must be a few years old now, I do not remember such valuable info about the Format type being mentioned.
Fortunately I was only try this out before I went away, but some may of had info on the stick they did not want to lose, Just reinforces the rule about Backups.
Tony
tony0204
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Postby Trashcooky » December 12th, 2013, 12:23 pm

@ Tony0204,

Hope you get on Ok but worse case scenario is another one for the bin (I have bricked a few myself too :oops: )

My original Excel is still a goer but easily outclassed nowadays by other budget tablets.
This may possibly be of interest to you:
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Return to Scroll EXCEL - General Discussions