Using the External sd card as main memory

Got and tips and tricks to share? Mention them here. (ALL Models)

Re: Using the External sd card as main memory

Postby KLRichards » May 31st, 2012, 11:43 am

Thansk for that Matt... a really good pointer for all...

I'm still a little concerned where CWM will look for my backups (ZIP) files to do the restore from... Need to think that one through.

As for suggsy's RC1 build, I went to that and must have found the 1% of apps that arent compatible... doh!!!

I may just bite the bullet and go for it.

As for changing the SD allocation around, I will hold on that for the moment, as I only have an 8GB micro SD card at the moment anyway, as I decided against buying bigger when I found out that the tablet wouldnt use them for apps. Which I now know I can make it, with a little mod'ing. So when I buy a 32Gb card I'll jump in with both feet...

Cheers again...

Regards

Kevin

KLRichards
Scroll Master
Scroll Master

Scroll Version: Scroll Extreme
Android Ver Jelly Bean 4.1.1
Kernel 3.0.36+
Build No: CM10 Mod 4.1.1

Postby madmatt30 » May 31st, 2012, 12:17 pm

hi Kevin, you can keep cwm backups or firmwares on either,it doesn't matter at all- you can pick a zip to install from sd or extsd so there is no real problem, once I have a Rom I am happy with I do a backup to pc anyway.
regarding compatibility, with rc1, install allwinner mod from the play store, spoof the phone as a galaxy s2, restart the tab,install the apps that were incompatible, then use allwinner again to switch back to allwinner tablet, restart again & the apps will work, I do this all the time.
apps with g sensor problems - just go to the display settings & change to the alternate sensor option (no restart/reboot required) - I have got literally everyhting working using the advice above,from shadowgun/fifa 12/asplhalt adrenaline 6 etc etc
the RC1 is the most solid firmware I have found yet by far.
madmatt30
Scroll Sergeant
Scroll Sergeant

Postby KLRichards » May 31st, 2012, 7:05 pm

Again great advice.... will do that cheers.

:D

Regards

Kevin

KLRichards
Scroll Master
Scroll Master

Scroll Version: Scroll Extreme
Android Ver Jelly Bean 4.1.1
Kernel 3.0.36+
Build No: CM10 Mod 4.1.1

Postby Redwood123 » April 2nd, 2013, 6:12 am

Hi

Not wishing to hijack anyones thread but I posted here viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3404.

It looks after doing this mod, I have 3 Internal storage drives now. One of 756 mb and one of 5.54 gb. (these were the "partitioned" drives with the tablet from new?) and one 32gb Internal drive. After doing the swapping of the SD card to become an internal drive, That worked BUT the 32 gb SD card now becomes a third internal drive, not the main drive..

When I install apps, they go to the first partition and use up the 756mb size of space and not the 32gb of space.

My tablet reads as follows :
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/block/nandi
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mmc_host /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.0/mmc_host
dev_mount usbhost1 mnt/usbhost1 auto /devices/platform/sw-ehci.1 /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0 /devices/platform/sw-ehci.2

What have I done wrong.?

Thanks
Redwood123
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Postby Redwood123 » August 25th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Help please from anyone ...

Agghh

Not sure what is happening now. I want to undo what I did in this post
change the 2 lines to

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/extsd auto /devices/virtual/block/nandi
dev_mount extsd /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mmc_host /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.0/mmc_host

I would like to revert back to the original setup so the sd card is an external device. BUT

1 not sure if its this process that is stopping me, but I have tried every way to get root access to the Extreme, but no success.
2 I tried Livesuite. No luck.
3 have tried superuser app. No luck.

4 I had a go at CWM but no luck either.

I have sdk and adb on the pc but cannot get any root permissions on tablet to do anything.

There does not seem a way for me to re flash the tablet to any usable state. I tried copying the vold.fstab file to another directory, edited it, then move back to the etc folder. It just wont let me do anything with the tablet in this state.

Anyone have a clue what i can do to get the beast back to original state.. Thanks
Redwood123
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Postby Trashcooky » August 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm

This is a long shot and I am am sure you are too wise to possibly have overlooked this but is USB debugging turned on in settings/developer options?
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Postby Redwood123 » August 25th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Yes USB debugging is turned on. I can't understand why I could fix before but totally at a loss. now. Thanks for your input.
Redwood123
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Postby Trashcooky » August 26th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Redwood123 wrote:Yes USB debugging is turned on. I can't understand why I could fix before but totally at a loss. now. Thanks for your input.

You say you can't flash using livesuite - What actually happens when you try?
If it isn't broken then don't try to fix it!
Trashcooky

Scroll Version: Original Scroll Excel 2.3 now running Sugsy 89's 4..0.4 ICS
Tabtronics Mini 8" XGA 4:3 ration JB 4.2.2
Zopo C2 Platinum 4.2.1 - 480 ppi

Postby Redwood123 » August 26th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Back on it again. I tried 10 times again to flash with Livesuite. I had a success at last attempt but not sure if I choose right image. I used this one JB.CM10.CT.PV3 and it did it's stuff by flashing until it got to yellow triangle with red exclamation. But now when tablet boots I get a blue man (spaceman) figure and cyanogen Mod 9 at top of screen. Then nothing...

But wait... after about 2 mins the man has gone lol...It is asking my details , wifi pw and google account so something is working . Strange it is now showing my galaxy s3 desktop picture?? but working at least.
Thanks for giving me the push to try again. Is this the best rom to use? What do you suggest? Is there a different/better one to try?
Checking when I put an SD card into the tablet, it still shows the sd card as an internal memory? Do you think I can change this now ?
Cheers for all your help and made an old man happy.
Redwood123
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

Postby Redwood123 » August 26th, 2013, 5:00 pm

update
This is what the Vold fasab file looks like now

## Vold 2.0 fstab for HTC Passion
#
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##
#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
#/devices/platform/awsmc.3/mmc_host for sdio
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/virtual/block/nandi
dev_mount extsd /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.1/mmc_host /devices/platform/sunxi-mmc.0/mmc_host
dev_mount usbhost1 /storage/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/sw-ehci.1 /devices/platform/sw_hcd_host0 /devices/platform/sw-ehci.2 /devices/platform/sw-ohci.1 /devices/platform/sw-ohci.2
Redwood123
Junior Scroller
Junior Scroller

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Tricks - Various Scroll Tablet Models